Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: New 802-8D Diaphragm's

  1. #1
    Inactive Member WV's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 10th, 2002
    Posts
    39
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hello,
    my 802-8D driver's work with Symbiotik Diaphragm's. Looking at the list at GPA searching a aluminum diaphragm, I find here two notes: 5 and 8.

    Note 5: All older drivers must use 800/900 Series Conversion Kit. How does this kit look? How can I find out, that my driver already works with that kit?

    Note 8: I should use the diaphragm for 909-8A. Why? This diaphragm is a symbiotik one. I still want a aluminum diaphragm. What should I do?

    Thanks in advance
    Wolf

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member RonSSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    1,222
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

    Post

    Wolf,

    The conversion kit merely converts from internal screw terminals on the Diaphragm to spade lug connections. It is simply two wires.
    The Diaphragm for the 909-8A is pascalite, not symbiotic as you thought. Double check what you read.
    And Bill can make you whatever you want for your driver. Call or email him. He will do them in alluminum!

    Ron

  3. #3
    HB Forum Owner Todd W. White's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2002
    Posts
    1,865
    Follows
    1
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

    Post

    Quoting the diaphragm/voice coil page (which I wrote):

    "NOTE 5 -ALL older Altec drivers must use a 288/291 or 800/900 Series Conversion Kit in order to be retrofitted with ANY Altec Lansing Diaphragm manufactured after 1983. Every Altec Lansing driver manufactured before 1983 will require one of these kits the first time a post-1983 diaphragm is installed in it."

    Below is the picture posted with it. Notice the screw terminals - this is how you can tell if you need the kit.

    The note below that picture says: "Old-style Diaphragm/Voice Coil Assembly for all 288/291 drivers manufactured prior to 1983. If yours looks like this, you must send it in to Great Plains Audio to be re-fitted with new parts,
    or you can buy a new style diaphragm and a conversion kit."

    Also -

    "NOTE 9 - Use the diaphragm manufactured for the Altec Lansing 909-16A (16 ohm), Altec original part #26421."

    The Symbiotik dipahragms have excellent power handling, but lack the output found in the upper register of the 802/902 diaphragms.

    The 909-series diaphragms have the power handling of the Symbiotik, and are just a notch shy of the frequency response characteristics of the 802/902-series drivers.

    If you NEED the power handling ability of the Symbiotik diaphragms, go with the 909-series diaphragms - you'll keep the power handling ability, plus get the added benefit of better HF response.

    IF, however, you don't need the higher power handling ability, and would like the BEST HF response, then use the 802-series diaphragms.

    One more thing - if your drivers are older Alnico models, you should seriously consider having GPA rebuild and REMAGNETIZE them. After all, Alnico does lose a bit of it's "umph" over time.

    Todd W. White, Owner
    Altec Lansing's (unofficial) Homepage


    Altec Lansing's (unofficial) Homepage288Diaphragm

  4. #4
    HB Forum Owner Todd W. White's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2002
    Posts
    1,865
    Follows
    1
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

    Post

    OOOPS!

    I quoted Note #9, instead of Note #8, but the principle remains the same.

    Also - the 909's are NOT Symbiotik diaphragms - they're an aluminium alloy.

    - Todd

  5. #5
    Inactive Member WV's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 10th, 2002
    Posts
    39
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hello,

    thank you for your replies.

    I was wrong, according to the list the diaphragm of the 909-8A (Altec-Part-Nummber 26420) is not Symbiotik, it's Pascalite.

    I would like to go with aluminum, because I use these speakers for home HiFi. May be I hear quite loud, but not as loud as FoH-PA. So I think, the better HF response is a good thing for me.

    I would like to remagnetize the drivers, but for that they are absent for a long time (I'm from germany). So I wait, until I own some spare driver for this time.

    Thank you again and reguards from germany
    Wolf

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.